Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment: Re:Fire(wall) and forget (Score 1) 157

From the summary: "This isn't a tremendous deal today, but with how things are going, odds are there will be e-Commerce worked into it, and probably credit card transactions... which worries the bejesus out of me."

From what I understand, having multiple layers of protection is a benefit even if it is internal. This means that an intruder simply cannot bypass one layer and then have access to everything. This is what happened at Target. Someone stole credentials from one of their vendors and was in the network where they proceeded to hack other systems.

Comment: Re:Fire(wall) and forget (Score 1) 157

But again. What IS the threat of network traffic to a port no one is listening on? None.

That's like saying what is the purpose of locking all the doors and windows in your house that no one uses? Hey if you want to keep the side windows and the garage doors unlocked, go ahead. If someone strolls in and steals your possessions, that's you own fault.

Comment: Re:Time Shifting? (Score 2) 191

I think that RIAA vs Diamond does cover this. From this lawsuit:

The AHRA enacted the royalty payment requirement by prohibiting the importation and distribution, or manufacture and distribution, of any DARD [digital audio recording device] without first filing a notice with the Register of Copyrights, depositing quarterly and annual statements of account, and making royalty payments.

From RIAA vs Diamond:

Under the plain meaning of the Act's definition of digital audio recording devices, computers (and their hard drives) are not digital audio recording devices because their "primary purpose" is not to make digital audio copied recordings. . . the fact that the Rio does not permit such further copies to be made because it simply cannot download or transmit the files that it stores to any other device. Thus, the Rio without SCMS inherently allows less copying than SCMS permits. . . [t]he purpose of [the Act] is to ensure the right of consumers to make analog or digital audio recordings of copyrighted music for their private, noncommercial use.

The way I read it, Diamond was covered in 3 ways. It was not a DARD according to the Act as the primary purpose was not to make copies. Second, it does not allow copies to be redistributed to other devices as it didn't have the capability to transmit to any other device. Third, it was for private, noncommercial use.

For the first one, GM and Ford has to show that their players' primary purpose is not to make copies. Marketed as infotaiment systems, they can show that multi-faceted purposes of GPS navigation, radio (satellite and terrestrial), hands-free phone connectors, email, etc. The other two are obvious. Lastly, Ford and GM could be dismissed from the suit as they didn't manufacture the systems but bought them and used them.

Comment: Re:I must be the outlier (Score 1) 168

by Threni (#47565039) Attached to: Comcast Confessions

Aren't they obliged to cancel your account if you ask, though? I mean, say you say "i want to close my account", they asked if you're sure, aware of the great deals etc. Say no, again, politely, then firmly "close my account now". What would happen if they continued trying to get you to stay and you stay silent? You aren't obliged to go through their script; you've told them your side of things. Can't you just stop paying them and if there's any come back tell them the date/time of the call, who you spoke to and ask what the problem is? Perhaps there needs to be a mandatory website/service where you just click/say "i'm out of here" and there's no come back on their part?

Comment: Re:Swift Popular? (Score 2) 285

by UnknowingFool (#47560577) Attached to: Programming Languages You'll Need Next Year (and Beyond)

How do we even know it's going to be popular in the first place? Does it solve any problem I can't do with C# or Python and/or on more platforms?

Considering that you can't really use C# or Python for iOS or OS X development, I would say that's one major thing you can't do.

It'll be a language for little hipsters who hope to be the next Steve Jobs by releasing yet another crappy useless iOS app. I don't know anyone who still bothers with iOS apps.

Then you must not know anyone who uses an iPhone meaning you live in a rather small world.

Comment: Re:We'll "need" Swift? (Score 4, Insightful) 285

by UnknowingFool (#47560511) Attached to: Programming Languages You'll Need Next Year (and Beyond)

Need? No. You can still use Objective C if you want to code iOS/OS X. Want? Yes.

And while the rest of the featured languages are no-brainers with regard to popularity, it's an open question how long it might take Swift to become popular, given how hard Apple will push it as the language for developing on iOS.

Apple does not have to push very hard. After looking at it and Objective C, it doesn't take a genius to see why programmers would prefer it over Objective C.

Comment: Re:So much unnecessary trouble (Score 1) 564

by CRCulver (#47548439) Attached to: Satellite Images Show Russians Shelling Ukraine

He controls the state police and the armed forces. There would have to be mutiny in the armed forces and that won't happen because they do not want to be shot by the state police.

People said Ceausescu had an iron grip on power, and look what happened in 1989: he got overthrown by some of his juniors in the state apparatus so they could rule in his place, and the army started taking orders from them instead of Ceausescu. Granted, the new Romanian leaders were able to seize power under the cover of a "popular" uprising, and such social unrest would be harder to foment in Russia, but history is just so full of examples of supposedly untouchable dictators whose downfall comes in the blink of an eye.

Comment: Re:So much unnecessary trouble (Score 5, Insightful) 564

by CRCulver (#47545231) Attached to: Satellite Images Show Russians Shelling Ukraine

With the UK and Scotland, no politician's life depends on the outcome. Whatever happens with the Scottish referendum, the people in office now expect to eventually depart from office and enter some cushy retirement position.

With Russia, Putin cannot afford to back down from a display of military might: it keeps his support among the masses high, and intimidates other post-Soviet states like Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan which he hopes to bring into his Eurasian Union. If Putin were to back down and support a peaceful resolution whose outcome might not satisfy Russian nationalists, he could find himself out of power. It's not a matter of him being done in by the West like a Saddam or Milosevic; that claim of Western conspiracy against him is just played for the cameras. The fact is that he's got enough enemies within Russian elite circles, he's pissed too many people off, that if his hold on power weakens, he'll certainly end up imprisoned or dead.

Comment: Re:The Muslim world cares so much for the Palestin (Score 1) 499

While it is true that Israel is blocking one part of the border, the other side is being blocked by either Qatar or Egypt. All US allies in the region.

Qatar is quite a ways away from the Levant. I think you meant "Jordan".

And for what it's worth, Israel controls the border between the West Bank and Jordan.

Comment: Re:forever payments (Score 4, Informative) 26

by CRCulver (#47540129) Attached to: Apple Acquires "Pandora For Books" Booklamp For $15 Million

Considering that most of the e-books sold (at least from the companies that are or might be selling monthly subscriptions for a buffet style approach) contain DRM, you don't really own it even if you make a lump sum payment either.

Stripping DRM from an ebook is a trivial process. For mass-market ebooks like the sort you can get from Amazon, DRM removal is automated in Calibre when you import the book, as long as you've installed the relevant plugin. For scholarly works made available in PDF, cracking the antiquated Adobe Digital Editions DRM is also not especially difficult and, while I've never tried, can probably be automated as well because the inventory of pirate ebook sites grows so large by the day that I doubt it is being done by hand.

You can quibble about legalities, but with the current DRM being so half-ass, you can have a lasting collection of ebooks free of the seller's whim.

Comment: Re:Good (Score 2) 223

by Threni (#47529319) Attached to: Chromebooks Are Outselling iPads In Schools

> If only tablets had on-screen keyboards

They're dreadful.

> Bluetooth keyboards or keyboard docks!

A decent bluetooth keyboard costs a lot of money. Keyboard dock? Why not just buy a laptop?

> All you're doing is reducing the impact of the point you're trying to make.

But i'm right though. That's what this story is about. Using a laptop, not a tablet, when you want to do something other than consume. How many people use laptops to write books, code etc. And how many use tablets. Thank you.

> It's entirely possible for a kid and with iPad to produce their own podcast or video
> presentation for a class.

Sure. It's posssible to use a Raspberry Pi, and enter text via a morse code key. Wouldn't that be fun?

Comment: Re:Good (Score 2) 223

by Threni (#47526555) Attached to: Chromebooks Are Outselling iPads In Schools

>This proves that all the Slashdot talk about software freedom is thinly disguised
>Microsoft hate since everyone here seems to be pumping up heavily locked down
>iDevices and Chromebooks.

Many people - especially Slashdot readers - don't use Microsoft products unless, perhaps, they'd paid to use it at work (either as end users or developers). They're just not relevant to a discussion about tablets (they don't make any that have any impact on the market) or Chromebooks (which are usable in seconds, are free from the `you've moved your mouse - better restart your pc, oh, and don't forget to install todays set of patches for Windows and Java` crap to which Windows users subject themselves).

Chromebooks beat tablet hand's down because it's possible to do anything on a bloody tablet except surf or watch netflix. Students might want to..you know...type something in?

Comment: Re:Why does Apple charge for Mac OSX? (Score 1) 165

by UnknowingFool (#47525047) Attached to: Mac OS X Yosemite Beta Opens

"identically specced" Only for very liberal interpretations for "identically specced". The problem is that when you actually try to build one identically-specced, in some cases, you'd find you spend more money on a PC than a Mac. There are specs you may not care about: small form factor, workstation processors, etc which may drive the price down. However ignoring them means you don't have an identically specced machine.

Take for example the cost of the video chips in the Mac Pro. It is actually cheaper to buy a Mac Pro upgrades than discrete cards. The D300 cards are roughly equivalent to the FirePro W7000 (~$750) while the D500 is almost equivalent to the W8000(~$1250). The D700 is roughly equivalent to a W9000 (~$3200). The prices are newegg prices. To upgrade from D300 to D500 is $400 on Apple. If you had two W7000 discrete cards, the upgrade price to dual W8000 would be $800. To upgrade to D700s would be $1000. To upgrade from dual W7000 to dual W9000 is $5500.

Now you make say you don't need workstation level cards, but that's the problem with your argument. Using a consumer level card would be cheaper; however, a Mac Pro is not designed for consumers. It's designed for professionals.

Surprise your boss. Get to work on time.

Working...