I don't need or want my watch to check my e-mail, flash when I have voicemail or any of that stuff. I'd be happy with a watch just smart enough, with a very very simple API, to allow me to design and download new "skins" to the watch when I feel like it. It would have a screen no bigger than my current Timex (including the bezel), and have these basic UI elements:
- 12 or 24 hour time
- Digital or analog display supported
- Analog display Hand designs - including transparency for those people who just want a little dot rotating around or whatever.
- The font for the digits; perhaps a separate one for the day/date display
- A button to cause it to brighten, dim, or be blank when I want it to not glow in the dark
- Download one or two alarm sounds
Since I don't want to change the watch theme extremely frequently, I'm OK with micro USB to do that, I don't need wireless.
Of all of the above, the most important point is to _not_ make the thing look like I've strapped some cellphone to my wrist!