- Persuader -- "When Eden burns"
- Firewind -- "Allegiance"
- To-Mera -- "Transcendental"
- Poisonblack -- "Lust stained despair"
- Borknagar -- "Origin"
- Motörhead -- "Kiss of death"
- Lacuna Coil -- "Karmacode"
- Iron Maiden -- "A matter of life and death"
- Hammerfall -- "Threshold"
- Queensrÿche -- "Operation: Mindcrime 2"
In terms of gigs, I saw a record 140 bands at 37 shows this year. Surprisingly, despite the large numbers, I didn't really see an utterly outstanding performance this year. Several very good ones, it's true, and indeed, I'd probably say the average quality was higher than the last few years. But none that really blew me away. Anyway, the best of the bunch this year were:
- Doro (The Underworld)
- Epica (The Underworld)
- Evergrey (The Underworld)
- Edguy (The Astoria, supporting Dragonforce)
- Battlelore (The Underworld, supporting Turisas)
Of those, Battlelore takes my pick as show of the year, as perhaps the closest to an outstanding performance in 2006.
Looking forward to 2007, the future looks bright, with new albums due from Megadeth, Grave Digger, Therion, Epica, Rise To Addiction, Season's End and Turisas, and a promising set of gigs lining up already.
Update: I'd add Blind Guardian's "A twist in the myth" to my album list. Forgot about that one when I did the list originally.