Children are not legally considered to be mature or educated enough to have a will of their own, This is why they cannot (with the exception of prosecutors who pervade the law) be tried as adults for crimes, cannot consent to sexual relations and such.
Taking that away from anyone else, especially a child, is abhorrent.
I would consider taking a child away from someone else who may have had a fighting chance of a life, far more abhorrent than anything you have mentioned above. All this said, I am a strong supporter of rights for children to be legally allowed to make more choices, especially pertaining to education and religion.
How can achievement **detract** from a game? you aren't penalized for not getting it, and plenty of people derive enjoyment from these distractions. Your comment is littered with statements revolving around "I" and your opinions (Which is completely OK) , but you haven't actually quantified how these "meta" achievements are bad for the game.
Personally I find them a nice distraction once you start to get bored of a game, sometimes playing it contrary to the usual design is enough to re-ignite the passion for a game.
I don't use Facebook, but are you not able to edit your own posts? Or is it like Slashdot, written in stone once you hit submit?
On Facebook you can delete your posts, But you can't remove it from peoples thoughts
Which further goes to prove, The only good anti-cheat protection is a human admin.
Which is why I have actually stuck to my boycott of the game.
17 Year old and a 14 Year old actually, they both have part time jobs that pay the way (and before working age? If you arnt prepared to mow lawns or clean cars? you dont deserve the game). Both allowed unrestricted access. As far as I'm concerned, if the child is mature enough to be playing an online game in the first place, they are mature enough to have been taught to cope with anything the internet can throw at them. Think of it as the defensive programming approach to raising children.
And at the big family gathering on Boxing day, Laptops, Even low end Laptops seem to be coming with reasonable 3D acceleration nowadays, I've been playing Fallout 3 (Speaking of which, my heart goes out to the console users without all these great mods available, I'd be royally pissed off if I couldn't fix many of the glaring problems. Now its just a mild irritation) on my new laptop with surprising ease.
LAN networking can be achieved with a Â£5 piece of networking hardware, and I cannot recall once having a group gaming session without having a net connection.
And yes, there are some console games that are played on one screen. That's why I keep the consoles about, and those are the games (plus exclusives) that I buy for them. It is still my opinion that for cross platform, PC=>Console 90% of the time.
And Worms *Is* an awesome game, not was
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.