Yep. If we ever find some chemical traces of life I bet we will not limit the sampling for one time only. A moon disturbance will be detected within days of the observation because the spectra will show significant changes when the moon changes its orbital position to the planet. TFA gives a bad feeling, do the "scientists" have some other agenda behind them?
My counter argument to the Fermi paradox is this: if there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of nice and peaceful civilizations who all like astronomy, and specially radio astronomy, then perhaps they have forged an agreement that lets keep quiet for long periods of time so that all participants can do meaningful exploration of new civilizations, like us. Maybe the time to advance our radio-space exploration and understanding of cosmos is very short so we will shut up too (radio silence), very soon.
Perhaps we should start investigating what would be the "Central Universe Time (CUT)" or, "Central Galaxy Time (CGT), because if such agreement would exist then the silence would be certainly broken at defined time intervals. Transmission times would be naturally determined by prime numbers and some exotic mathematics.
"NEWS AT ELEVEN! (CGT)"
This was because the polar vortex was not in its normal position. No connection with global warming, it just happens from time to time. When the polar vortex is over Canada and USA they have the cold weather and the Atlantic winds keeps carrying humid and warm air over here.
This Xmas was not the warmest in record although it was warmer than most of the years. Finnish Polar Circle is only ~700km from the Atlantic and the same goes for rest of the Finland. Atlantic weather systems bring a lot of rain and mild weather here.
Now we have the "normal" Siberian high pressure system pushing cold air here, it is -15C in Helsinki, temperature in Lapland above Polar Circle is between -9 and -30C.
So, when you see extremely high variation from the average temperature it is definitely not the global warming, it is a weather system anomaly. Those are local, not global, and have happened since the beginning of the Earths atmosphere.
Jang Sung-taek lifted himself to the power in his 20s via marriage. It is safe to say that he has had 40 years to build social networks within the North Korean elite.
Kim Jong Un is a heir to a communist tyrant but we didn't hear from him until 2009. It is quite safe to assume that he has had only four years of time to make alliances with the North Korean elite, military and Workers party - and only two years as a ruler.
Jang Sung-taeks network of people was most likely within the Workers Party of North Korea.
I would say that people who knew Jang Sung-taek is most likely in thousands and people who valued him is also very high. My guess is that now the fat boy has to be extra paranoid - he can not possibly know the extent of J.S-t's social network. Some of J-S.t's friend may have guns, or just a knives, and as we can see Kim Jong Un is not fat enough to be stab proof. I am expecting that North Korea may go to a bloody revolt after all.
Yes, I find this quite strange case indeed. Roman Vega was arrested in 2003. He has been incarcerated in USA since then. He is a Ukrainian citizen. He was accused of credit card theft and had to wait TEN YEARS to get his conviction. Now, since he is a first timer, and his ten years in jail must be counted in - shouldn't he be freed immediately? He is not a terrorist and the pre-2003 systems his hackers were exploiting were literally stone-age systems without any double or triple verification procedures.
Naturally the biggest question is that if this guy is only a operator of cybercrime www-site in Ukraine then what the hell he is doing in USA? Terrorism and murder I would understand but credit card crimes committed in the 90s and early 00s simply is an unjustified reason to kidnap foreign citizens and make them wait ten years to get their conviction. If your payment systems are so broken that 3rd world hackers have free reign over them you don't arrest the 3rd world hackers, you repair your payment systems. It would have taken less time and taxpayers' money than send FBI and Secret Service, kidnap this guy, jail him, hold legal processes for ten years and then jail him some more. Sugar on top is: USA has to loan the money to do all this.
Well, perhaps some United States citizen can explain this to me?
Researchgruppen is an ultra-leftist organization, run by people who have committed assaults. They are offering a 50 000 SKR bounty for someone to hack the Flashback site to de-anonymize their political opponents there.
These "racist" sites are the ones which post news without Swedish white pixelization and political correctness. However it is true that there are comments which are negative - just like comments in any media outlet.
What Expressen and Researchgruppen did was that they de-anonymized their political opponents. They are also targeting people who have nothing to do with Swedish Democrats, just ordinary people who disagree with the nation wide consensus of immigration and do not want lose their jobs for expressing their opinions.
As a Finnish citizen I am very worried of the state of democracy in Sweden. Swedish media is hell bent to destroy Swedish Democrats and they use any means. Swedish ultra left is extremely violent and seems to enjoy total freedom. It is not the ultra right or racists who do the majority of political violence in Sweden.
Outing political opponents and making a illegal registers of identities breaks Swedish and EU laws. Harassing people because of this also breaks laws, anonymous or not, people have right to express their opinions in the network and ordinary citizens can not expect to be chased by the media or extremely violent political groups because of that.
We Finns always joke how Swedes "Diskuterar" so much of everything but it seems we are little bit outdated on that belief. Swedish media do not want to have civilized discussion and extremist groups are using violence to advance their cause.
I remember seeing a ST:TNG episode of women driven society where men were the weaker sex and Riker had to wear some embarrassing clothes to please locals.
We have cheap co2 free electricity and cold weather. I believe Finland is going to get a lot of data centers because in addition of chilly weather and good infrastructure here companies can buy a portion of nuclear power producer and get tax free electricity from their "own" nuclear power station. Other Nordic countries do not have such arrangements, there you pay the market price of electricity even if you own a power producer.
- Roadblock IEDs - these may be complete unnecessary. Rent or steal fuel trucks and park them so that you can remotely detonate their fuel cargo on fire. Much more effective and takes a lot of time to put them out. IEDs make just craters (and are hard to make in these sizes) but tens of tons fuel make a burning lake and lots of smoke. Harder to bypass if you place them strategically near bridges or other places where congestion bypass takes a lot of time.
- If weapons predetonate then the game is over, it is impossible to collect plutonium droplets spread around.
- This was assumed to be a non-convoy transport without black helicopters or disguised military trucks carrying infantry.
- Citizens carrying firearms - not a problem. Dress yourself a fireman and steal/paint your truck to fire department colours. Or dress as an ambulance personel and park an Ambulance next to the crime scene.
I am glad you didn't ask about the 2) - it is missing because of a typo.
Here is how:
1) A roadside bomb so powerful that it will destroy the tractor and the container. Two other under road bombs blocking all access to the site.
3) Small aircraft stored nearby where you have 500 yards of reasonably solid and even surface, a field will do in most cases. A good and simple plane with autopilot, like Cessna 182, is a good choice.
4) Fire extinguishers, metal cutting tools, hand trolley.
5) A lorry, a van, something parked 100km away. Just make sure it is well outside of 30min scrambling radius of any AF base.
What to do:
- Wait until the nuclear transport arrives.
- Detonate IEDs and eat popcorn while watching how the fireball kills the truck driver and ex navy seal "nuclear guard". Watch how the container breaks open and the secondary explosions finish the show. Other IEDs have blocked all direct road access to the scene giving you the 10 minutes you need.
- Locate warhead from the container and put out fires, if any. Use metal tools, if needed, to extract the warhead.
- Carry the warhead to the aircraft. (warheads are usually less than 200kg)
- Take off, set the autopilot course to the direction where your getaway vehicle is parked
- Parachute both you and the warhead when you reach the vicinity of you getaway car - remember to set the autopilot before you leave.
- Enjoy your freedom and laugh when goverment X is making the greatest firework show out of that autopiloted Cessna.
Now you have most sought out metal of this universe and can do all sorts of business with it.
Cost of all this is less than 30 000USD - then again with that amount of money you can probably bribe some Pakistani dude giving you the keys to that nuclear transporting lorry. Add a zero, or two zeros, to that number and you have an American nuclear bomb. Hell, it is still a bargain if it is intact and costs only $3M.
From TFA, this is comedy gold: "Both types of cooling systems will also kill fish by sucking them into equipment or trapping them against intake screens, but the once-through method is more deadly because it diverts more water than does a closed-cycle system."
Well, now when we know that the flow is 2.1 cubic meters per second. Lets assume that the nuke plant wants to build a super small intake screen, like 5m x 2m, now, how FISH-CRUSHING is this 2.1m3 flow through this screen? It is 500cm x 200cm x 20cm, which is twenty centimeters per second. That is eight inches of FISH-CRUSHING per second. I'm from the country of thousands of lakes and while swimming in our crystal clear waters I have not seen a fish that slow, not small or big.
Hey! You American fish. You disappoint me.