Slashdot videos: Now with more Slashdot!
We've improved Slashdot's video section; now you can view our video interviews, product close-ups and site visits with all the usual Slashdot options to comment, share, etc. No more walled garden! It's a work in progress -- we hope you'll check it out (Learn more about the recent updates).
and the flames grew higher and higher.
so lets address them one by one shall we?
1. i would say that i am cold hearted. but i believe that people who deliberately put themselves in harms way shouldn't be spared the pity.
2. the government has been trying to get rid of the squatters who live along the coastline for almost three decades. these attempts have been unsuccessful for many reasons. primarily the squats are a haven for the goons and thugs the parliamentarians use. the squatters have resisted every attempt to move them. the government has provided them with land in the central areas, many of them sold teh land and came back. the government then provided them with an apartment complex in the city. they sold THOSE and came back. there was a time when the squatters have taken over a road reservation. the government gave them land AND money. for every squatter that left, two took their place. hey
3. these squats have become a haven for crime. muggers, thieves, thugs for hire etc etc. there was a time when you couldn't walk along the beach without a significant probablity of getting mugged and/or raped
4. the coastline has been attacked by storms, and all kinds of other natural disasters. yet these people come back, take wahtever aid they get and move in.
5. people in the area have been building houses with low quality materials. if you look at the houses you'll see quite a few standing while the next one to them is powder. this is not a tornado that hits on a point level. this was a frikken WAVE. some houses stand because they were built well. not with flimsy materials that coould be knocked down with a good kick
6. a lot of deaths happened with rubberneckers. people were jamming the streets after the first wave to see what this tsunami was about. if you look at teh TV coverage, you'll see that. and they got caught to teh second, much larger, wave. darwinism is a bitch
do i feel sorry for the people who died through no fault of their own? yes and no. i didn't know them, and a natural disaster is.. natural.. you can't predict when it will hit or how. if you gotta die, you gotta die.
i gave my share of aid, its the human thing to do. but i really don't feel anything
http://www.bootsnall.com/travelstories/asia/dec00khajuraho1.shtml has a good description of the temple carvings
http://faculty.sxu.edu/~rabe/khajuraho/part_one.html is more academic and NSFW
tourism is doing well NOW. but ask any westerner about the wonders of india and they'll mainly talk about the north.
and the stories are mainly from anecdotal evidence, but there are certain scholarly sources that cite it.
http://www2.hu-berlin.de/sexology/GESUND/ARCHIV/SEN/CH10.HTM about 2/3rds down (search for "india")
the page is on a
Also note the similarities between what was studied and what REALLY happened to Katie Tarbox
CUSTOMER SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Following is an important customer service notice sent in
accordance with the Network Solutions Service Agreement.
Dear Network Solutions(R) Customer,
We recently learned that our customers are receiving domain
name renewal notices from companies falsely representing
themselves as Network Solutions. These notices inform customers
that their domain name registration is due to expire and provides
instructions on how to renew.
If you receive a renewal notice you do not believe is from
Network Solutions or if you have an unauthorized vendor listed
on your credit card statement for 'domain name renewal,' please
contact us immediately at 1-888-642-9675 or locally at 703-742-0914
or email us at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
To confirm that the renewal notification you receive is from
Network Solutions and to protect your domain name registration,
we recommend that you do the following:
1. Go to http://info1.networksolutions.com (identifying URL removed - suchetha)
2. Click on the Renew Services tab
3. Enter the domain name in the renew services box
4. Your services and expiration date will be displayed
The description that will appear on your credit card statement for
all Network Solutions transactions will identify Network Solutions
Thank you for choosing Network Solutions. We are committed to
delivering high quality services to meet your online needs.
Director, Customer Service
Please do not reply to this message, as we cannot issue a response.
For any customer service inquiries, please click below:
If you would like to unsubscribe from certain e-mail promotions,
(** another URL removed - suchetha **)
continue to send you notices and other important information
affecting your account or services in order to fulfill our
service obligations to you.
Copyright (c) 2003 Network Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.