What about those of us geeks that LIKE WebOS? I mean, I can do everything that an Android user can do and MORE with WebOS, and WebOS makes it easier to do.
Tell me you Android users, can you patch your Android device with a kernel that allows for multiple types of adaptive overclocking? No? funny, I can with my Gen1 Sprint Pre using WebOS 1.4.5.
Even funnier, It's not a feature i'd use.
In fact, I've been doing it for at least 3 point releases of WebOS.
Wait. Your Android device isn't getting an OTA update from your carrier? You can't even GET an OTA update because your only 6 month old device isn't compatible with Froyo? And you have to be even MORE of a carrier bitch and pay out more money just to get Froyo, but you can only get a gimped version with features missing?
Bought my nexus one without a contract, installed a modded os (Cyangoen) and installed a great deal of useful apps.
I just don't see how you people think Android is "open" when it looks like only the CARRIERS have any real access to the phone without a complex hack that is only really possible for Alpha Geeks and is as lkely to BRICK your phone or cause the carrier to drop your contract as it is to unlock it.
Documentation on how to flash your device so it doesn't end up bricked can easily be found and it's instructions are very clear. It does not take an an overly technical person to do this. I don't think it has a higher rate of being bricked than any other hardware being flashed.
Other than having a metric crap load of apps (about 99% garbage apps too.) you Android users appear to be getting LESS for your money than us WebOS users. Yeah, I have a device that's over a year old. At least my software is up to date, and uniform across all carriers and devices. Having a brand new Android device that's completely locked down and using a gimped old version of Android is like owning a Ferrari that has a Yugo engine and needs champagne as fuel. Flashy, expensive to use crap.
No thanks, I'll stick with WebOS.
Apps are what you make of them. The applications I find useful I install and keep. Even if we use your somewhat "99% percent garbage apps too" estimate that still leaves me with 1% of apps that might be of value. I'm not sure why I'm replying to your post other than to say it seems like you really don't like the android platform. I can't help but wonder did you by chance brick one of your android phones?