I was working on Nebula... I had just got package loading, class exports, pretty much everything except actual drivers and game package management working... and then Admiral comes over with Geordi, the server which was then going to replace Ebling Mis. (Just before he brought it over, I successfully repaired Ebling Mis, losing 8GB of disk space in the process.)
Being the Gentooite that I am, I downloaded the x86 install CD and popped it into the drive, started sshd, logged in, screened onto the CRT, and started pounding away.
But, of course, it was boring. After all, I had done several Gentoo installs without incident already. I needed a challenge. So I decided to have /etc be on a separate partition, and a few other unconventional things. After a few hours of playing around with it, I got it working. Great fun.
But, I still felt unsatisfied. So no sooner did I start to write my own webserver when I realized I was fed up with Arkady (my iBook) having such an outdated Linux distro installed. (I was running YDL 2.3, vintage 2002... it was even using kernel 2.4!)
"But Solra!" I thought. "You don't have a working CD drive! How will you install a new distro?"
At this point, of course, I knew I had found another excuse not to work on Nebula.
tar xpjf /stage3-ppc-2005.1.tar.bz2
tar xjf /portage-latest.tar.bz2
mv bin bin~
bin~/mv new/bin /
mv lib lib~
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./ld.so /bin~/mv /new/lib /
mv sbin sbin~
mv /new/sbin /
Then I proceeded to move all the other directories into place. After a few hours' build time, I again had a fully functional work environment, running faster than before, and with up-to-date documentation!
Not only that, but I had my old Home folder in a squashfs image, so I wouldn't lose anything.
BUT I WASN'T DONE SLACKING YET!
I happened to notice that the x11-drm ebuild purported to provide a mach64 DRI driver, which would allow me to finally(!) experience accelerated OpenGL on my iBook under Linux. But then I realized I had to change my xorg-x11 USE flags to include "insecure-drivers"... which meant a complete rebuild! (Last time I built xorg-x11 on this computer, it took over ten hours.)
I had recently installed ppc64 Gentoo on my father's G5. (On a small corner of an external FireWire disk which he didn't need...) I decided to try a small experiment:
tar xpjf ~sbizna/stage3-ppc-2005.1.tar.bz2
tar xjf ~sbizna/portage-latest.tar.bz2
chroot /ppc32 /bin/bash
To my semi-surprise, it worked. After setting up a few config files properly (and hardlinking a few distfiles... we must respect DataPipe's bandwidth):
emerge --onlydeps xorg-x11
emerge -B --nodeps xorg-x11
(The entire build process took about an hour and a half. Apparently, a dual 2GHz PowerPC 970 is faster than a single 300MHz PowerPC 750...)
I then copied the newly made binary package to Arkady, did emerge --usepkgonly xorg-x11, and I was done! I now had DRI (at least when I start Xorg in 16-bit mode), and glxgears was chugging along at a whopping 182fps!
I'm now using the same principle to build binary packages for the Linux install my sister wants me to do when I finish reformatting her machine.
You know, Linux rocks, especially Gentoo.