Roaches are averse to very little. The one thing that kills them dead, and permanent, is boric acid. No - don't try to mix up a poison for them. Just dust the building they infest. Really dust - get it into every crack and crevice, behind light switches, behind wall receptacles, under cabinets, on top of cabinet, under the false floor under your sinks, in the attic, in the basement, get the rafters and floor joists, behind molding, in the heating ducts, hot water tank room, crawlspaces, EVERYWHERE.
Leave the dust undisturbed for as long as possible. Can you leave the building empty for a month? Do it! They walk in it, they feel dirty, so they groom themselves. Grooming is just like a cat - they lick themselves clean. POISONED, SUCKER!!!
All those fancy, expensive preparations are just a waste of time. They never worked in the first place, is why the roaches seem to be "averse" to them now.
How do I know this? I once moved into a home that was perfect - except it was roach infested. We tried everything, then asked around. The professional exterminators couldn't even rid the house of roaches, which was part of the reason the previous tenants had moved out.
Dusting worked, where everything else had failed. The house was roach free after a month. (There WILL be reinfestations after the first treatment, because there are eggs in your walls that won't hatch for a couple of weeks. Just leave the dust laying everywhere - those hatchlings will be gone soon enough.)