NOTE: The term 'drone' is being mis-applied here, just as 'hacker' is mis-used by the general public to mean a bad thing.
As a rural landowner who also flies Radio-Controlled aircraft and UAVs, I see this issue from several angles.
- Hunters and fisherman who conduct themselves ethically and within the law deserve to not be disturbed or have their 'prey' scared off.
- Despite earlier remarks that hunters 'have the right' to hunt/fish unmonitored- this is obviously untrue since game-wardens exist.
- Simply flying an RC Airplane or AUV with a video downlink does not constitute monitoring or invasion of privacy any more than your next-door neighbor kid in his treehouse. The fact that he may be able to see into your yard or back windows does not give you the right to shoot him dead.
- UAVs are noisy- too noisy to sneak up on people, but they sure can spook wildlife...
- This issue is being blown completely out of proportion. Nearly all UAVs are flown for recreational purposes, there are very -very- few UAVs being used anywhere for this or any other surveillance purpose.
- The odds of ever encountering one of these outside of town is amazingly tiny- the odds that one is being used to monitor your hunting/fishing is orders of magnitude smaller than than your chance of winning the PowerBall lottery.
- It is foolhardy to use any method (e.g., noisy car stereo, UAV or otherwise) to harass anybody.
- Although I do not agree with many of the extreme views and methods of PETA, I do feel the use of game-cameras, UAVs, and other methods to substantiate/verify reports of abuse or illegal activity by hunters or polluters is valid and beneficial.
- Some of my neighbors own small aircraft and have full visibility of my place, they even sometimes do touch-and-go landings on my RC airstrip. Does this bother me? No, its good, friendly fun- we just wave and smile and often take pictures of them (they love the copies! ). If UAVs bother you so much, you can always 'moon' them.
- This is being used as a diversionary issue for simpletons to get themselves all worked-up over, yet it really has no impact on their lives. It is being used to distract your attention from other more important things. Please pay attention to the man behind the curtains instead...
- Not all uses of UAVs are so controversial- my neighbors benefit from aerial photos showing which parts of their cotton fields need special attention (insect infestation, weeds, erosion, dry spots, inundation).