No politician that already has any real power is going to want to reign in the NSA.
That word may not mean what you think it means.
reign (v) reigned, reigning, reigns
1. To exercise sovereign power.
2. To hold the title of monarch, but with limited authority.
3. To be predominant or prevalent: Panic reigned as the fire spread.
rain (v) rained, raining, rains
1. To fall in drops of water from the clouds.
2. To fall like rain: Praise rained down on the composer.
3. To release rain.
1. To send or pour down.
2. To give abundantly; shower: rain gifts; rain curses upon their heads.
rein (v) reined, reining, reins
1. To check or hold back by or as if by the use of reins. Often with in, back, or up.
2. To restrain or control.
To control a horse, for example, with reins.
draw in the reins -- To slow down or stop by or as if by pressure on the reins.
give free/full rein to -- To release from restraints; allow to go unchecked: gave rein to her emotions. tight rein
Close control: kept expenses on a tight rein.
So... are politicians with power afraid of acting as monarch within the NSA, falling on the NSA like condensed water vapour, or applying pressure to stop or control the NSA?