Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment: And the same is true for alien weapon research (Score 1) 31

"Lack of money, management structure and staff are hampering NASA's ability to effectively identify and track comets, meteorites and asteroids that might threaten Earth"

Oh god, who cares? If it's going to hit it's going to hit, end of story. It hasn't happened since we knew what asteroids were, and it didn't happen for the millions of years where we didn't, so it appears knowing one way or the other has no bearing on the outcome.

What a waste of time and effort. Trust me, if there's a big one and it's going to hit, you'll know. It will be the ever-brightening dot in the sky that doesn't seem to move day to day.

Comment: Re:Any removable storage yet? (Score 1) 730

by Maury Markowitz (#47865695) Attached to: Apple Announces Smartwatch, Bigger iPhones, Mobile Payments

> There's absolutely no way the iPhone has enough storage space to make recording
> video viable without removable storage

Yet it is the number 1 video source on the planet. So, clearly, the argument is logically wrong.

Here, let me re-phrase your argument so it is logically correct:

"There's absolutely no way the iPhone has enough storage space to make recording *the long videos I make* viable without removable storage"

Which is a pointless argument, akin to saying you can't use an iPhone to drive nails. The iPhone wasn't invented to do everything, it was invented to do some things really well. And the fact that it is the #1 camera and #1 camcorder in the world is proof positive that they have succeeded.

Comment: Re:Trust us with your payments (Score 3, Informative) 730

by Maury Markowitz (#47865309) Attached to: Apple Announces Smartwatch, Bigger iPhones, Mobile Payments

> So if you lose or upgrade your phone you have to re-setup all your stored cards

Ummm, what do you do if you lose your wallet? Re-set up all your cards, very rapidly, using a *phone*. Then you wait for days while they arrive. Or you go in person to a *bank* and get a new one.

Whereas with this you simply take another photo of your card.

> If not then they're storing it in your device

Wow. Did you even bother reading ONE SENTENCE about how this works before coming here to complain?

Really, this is just making you look foolish.

Comment: Re:Trust us with your payments (Score 4, Interesting) 730

by Maury Markowitz (#47865271) Attached to: Apple Announces Smartwatch, Bigger iPhones, Mobile Payments

> Apple doesn't middle-man the banking/merchant transaction in their model.

*THAT* was the big takeaway from the announcement. They're not doing PayPal, they're simply providing tokens to the bank, like any NFC credit card.

That said, the film about the payment process falls on deaf ears anywhere outside the US. I did about four transactions today, three of them were tap-to-pay, one was cash. Having all my cards in one place and eliminating my wallet (I *rarely* use cash, maybe twice a week) is something worth paying for.

Comment: Re:So..... (Score 1) 730

by Maury Markowitz (#47865227) Attached to: Apple Announces Smartwatch, Bigger iPhones, Mobile Payments

> But something more focused on security versus the "bling" that apple is trying to promote

Really, you're claiming you're interested in an *Android phone* because of *security*.

> my 2c

Is obviously worth 0c.

> the gs5 --:> bigger, new features, better battery life then the last model, better processor

The iP6 -> bigger, new features, better battery life than the last model, better processor

You did actually watch the 'cast before writing this moronic post, right?

Comment: Re:Any removable storage yet? (Score 0) 730

by Maury Markowitz (#47865147) Attached to: Apple Announces Smartwatch, Bigger iPhones, Mobile Payments

> Because I still have a camcorder hanging around and I use it when

And I'm guessing the last time you used it there were two zeros in the date?

> I want to take a video that lasts longer than a couple of minutes

And that puts you into 0.1% of the population.

Should we put a 5th wheel on everyone's care because they might want to pull a 1/2 container some time? I suspect that's about the same percentage, judging by the number of times I've seen it on a pickup.

> making it a toy at taking pictures and video

Making it the most used camera and one of the most used video systems, regardless of what you think.

I'm just guessing, of course, but I strongly suspect you have never sold a picture or video, so why do you think your judgement on what makes a toy is remotely valid? When you make your first photo sale to NatGeo or feature film you let us know.

Comment: Read much (Score 4, Insightful) 362

by Maury Markowitz (#47860263) Attached to: BBC: ISPs Should Assume VPN Users Are Pirates

This statement:

"This situation is further amplified by the adoption of virtual private networks (VPNs) and proxy servers by some users, allowing them to circumvent geo-blocking technologies and further evade detection," the BBC explains."

Doesn't appear to be remotely close to what the topic claims:

"BBC: ISPs Should Assume VPN Users Are Pirates"

Quite the opposite, it very clearly that "some users" use it for multiple purposes.

Yet that hasn't stopped anyone here from simply assuming the article header is correct and complaining. Which is precisely why everyone ignores nerds.

Comment: Re:Musk worship (Score 4, Insightful) 260

by Maury Markowitz (#47853487) Attached to: Tesla Plans To Power Its Gigafactory With Renewables Alone

> If I open a company tomorrow, how can I get away with not paying taxes?

You ask the local government. They all do it. They just have different ideas of which ones to fund and which ones not to.

But if you have a factory you want to build, and it's going to employ, say, 1000 people, you'll find a lineup of governments willing to give you a tax break.

Comment: No, that's not what it says (Score 5, Informative) 260

by Maury Markowitz (#47853475) Attached to: Tesla Plans To Power Its Gigafactory With Renewables Alone

"all of its own energy using a combination of solar, wind, and geothermal"

No, that's not what it says. It says it will be net-zero. That's a big difference.

This plant will be grid-connected. It will simply produce as much energy as it uses. Not all the time, not 24 hours.

Comment: I call BS (Score 4, Interesting) 448

"Margaret Thatcher forced François Mitterrand to give her the codes to disable Argentina's deadly French-made missiles during the Falklands war"

Bologna.

I've seen the insides of 70's era AM39 Exocet. They don't have codes. They certainly don't have remote turn-off codes.

And then there's the fact that they worked perfectly. Six (five AMs, one SM) launches, four hits. Two sinkings. Much better results than anyone could have predicted.

Comment: Re:Gen III $0.15/kWh (Score 1) 130

by Maury Markowitz (#47811545) Attached to: Finland's Nuclear Plant Start Delayed Again

> This paragraph was enough to stop me:

So let me make sure I understand what you're claiming here.

First, you're claiming that you made it to page 3, where you find the quote in question, but you *didn't* read page 2 where it said:

"Certain Alternative Energy generation technologies are cost-competitive with conventional generation technologies under some scenarios, before factoring in environmental and other externalities (e.g., RECs, transmission and back-up generation/system reliability costs) as well as construction and fuel cost dynamics affecting conventional generation technologies"

Is that what you're saying?

And further, that you stop reading things because you find a *single thing* in them that you disagree with?

Ok.

The number of arguments is unimportant unless some of them are correct. -- Ralph Hartley

Working...