- They are not an eyesore and blend in as though they were a part of the game world itself.
- They do not add 'bloat' to the game in the form of lag while adverts load or cause extra overhead that impacts performance.
- They do not incorporate any 'tracking' of my habits or behaviours.
- They do not advert stuff I don't want my kid exposed too.
Then: I'm ok with it. Unfortunately (fortunately?), I've never seen anyone succeed at all of the above requirements.
- NCSoft will have complete control over the ads that appear, including making sure they're appropriate for a Teen rated game, fit within the game world, and (I assume) are tasteful.
- The code that's going to swap in the billboards already exists, there just weren't advertisers previously. My understanding is that any lag caused by the new system would be exactly identical the the lag caused by the current billboards.
- From what I've read, it's going to use your IP to differentiate between US and EU ads, but nothing else about the user is even checked by the game.