Follow Slashdot stories on Twitter


Forgot your password?

Comment Re:Not a Raspberry pi competitor. (Score 4, Insightful) 120

I don't know of a $45 Amazon tablet that can be a standalone off the shelf x86 Ubuntu system with performance comparable to a netbook which can host VMs running Ubuntu Snappy Core for IoT applications. Since the JaguarBoard also has I2C, COM and GPIO ports, it can in some cases be a replacement for an RPi, depending on the number of units to be deployed in production, and the profit margin and TCO of the target solution.

Comment Re:Impartial referees (Score 1) 100

I agree with GP, and I would also keep user names/ids and reputation scores hidden so people are less inclined to farm their scores or band together to level up. I may be able to indirectly see the effects of my reputation, but I can't be sure, and it won't be easy for me to demonstrate it to other people.

BTW I think Google Search is in effect a pretty good reputation engine, it's just not apparent.

Also, for me, the Slashdot system of moderation and metamoderation works well with the set of custom filtering rules it provides me. The 20ish% of posts I see are usually what I would want to.

Comment Re:Netflix works on linux (Score 1) 268

A $60 appliance will get you Hulu+, Amazon, & Netflix. So you don't really have to fixate over whether or not desktop Linux supports Netflix.
It's not 2005 anymore.

I want to use my single 50in monitor as a Linux desktop while I am utilizing an online video streaming service to watch video in a window (which I can make fullscreen if I like). I do not want to buy and use an HDMI capture box.

Comment Re:True (Score 1) 302

Meanwhile, the typical Linux distro now has dconf, network manager, polkit, systemd, and worst of all dbus. Some more capability has come about, but it has become pretty inscrutable to the admins with a bourne shell scripting level of understanding. More advanced programmers appreciate some of the additional structure, but shell commands to script some capabilities are no longer easy (complex dbus-send commands, non-obvious configuration location and no longer human readable content) or impossible.

And the alternative to the inscrutable command-line interface and configuration files is an inscrutable GUI, which may or may not work properly, and is dependent on a massive desktop environment, and may be completely redesigned at any point.


Pope Promotes Christian Netiquette 218

angry tapir writes "Pope Benedict XVI Monday gave his blessing to social networking, urging Catholic Internet users to adopt a respectful Christian netiquette when spreading the Gospel online. The pope said new technologies were creating unprecedented opportunities for establishing relationships and building fellowship but warned against creating false online profiles out of vanity or diluting the Christian message to achieve popularity."

Nintendo 3DS Launching On March 27 For $250 120

Sam writes "Nintendo executive Reggie Fil-Aime today revealed US availability and pricing for the Nintendo 3DS at an event in the Nintendo World store in New York City. The 3DS will launch on March 27, 2011 with a retail price of $250 and will be available in two flavors: Aqua Blue and Cosmo Black. There will be roughly 30 games released between the launch day and E3 2011 (June 7 to June 9). These include Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, Madden NFL Football, The Sims 3, Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D, and LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars. The device will have the same form-factor as the DSi and will be backwards compatible with both DS and DSi games. Users will also be able to download games via an online store, called the eShop. In Europe, the 3DS will launch on March 25, 2011. While Europeans will get the device two days early, pricing is not good news. Nintendo held a second event in Amsterdam today and said that pricing would be left up to retailers. Retailers in the UK are reportedly planning a £229.99 ($367.64) price tag, while other European retailers are going with €249 ($336.00)."

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.