What's the reason? I get a 403, and if I traceroute, it stops nearby, and I really can't see any other reason than administrative prohibition. Akamai isn't usually incompetent, it has to be a campaign decision.
Cory Doctorow reports a "massive victory" at a meeting in The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)! So far, the WIPO has advocated only stronger and stronger Intellectual Property regulations, such as the the treaty leading to DMCA, the broadcast flag, and was easily lobbied to kill a meeting on open exchange of ideas.
The tide has turned. Successfully advocated by Jamie Love and brought to the table by Brazil and Argentina, the WIPO finally realizes that there must always be a balance.
So, if somebody would like to help me with the problems I cite in my journal, please drop me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Now, I'd like to go the other way, I'd like Mozilla to use the file associations defined in KDE. Anybody know how to do that?
Also, I have had a bit of a problem making new partitions. I'd like to make a
Is there a nice tool that will repartition my disk non-destructively (yeah, I know, backups), and do it more sensibly than I? I'm, running Debian Woody on this box.
Update 2003-07-29: I have found what I'm looking for: Part-GUI, is it, definately! Unfortunately, it is still in beta, and I don't think I have the skills to contribute so much, so I guess I would just have to wait.
This time, my problem has to do with APM. My mobo is a Asus A7M266, and I'm on Debian Woody (though I run things from unstable, to get KDE3), and I have 2.4.19 kernel running.
Once upon a time, APM worked beautifully on this box. I could do shutdown -h, and everything would halt. All fans would stop, monitor would go off, and the light indicating the machine is on would be turned off. When this worked, I was running a mix of Debian Potato and Progeny. Then I had to switch to RH7.2 for a while, but now I'm back to Woody, and I can't get it working.
I've enabled APM in my kernel, the config looks like this:
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
Yeah, I've experimented with turning things on and off (right now, I have even ACPI on, but that's recent, I have had it off most of the time).
append="apm=power-off" and indeed, dmesg has some sensible things:
Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=301 apm=power-off
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16)
However, when I halt the machine, and it comes to "Power down" on the screen, I can hear some of the fans stopping, but the monitor is apparently not shut down (I guess that has something to do with DPMS and that it is really a different issue), some fans are still going and the light on the front of the chassis is not turned off, like it used to be.
I have little further information. I've tried a lot of searches, and I have also apmd running now. Any good ideas?
Update 2002-11-02: Last night I learnt that I need I2C enabled in the kernel for the sensors stuff. I figure I'll enable that the next time I'll compile the kernel, which I guess will be when 2.4.20 is released (it's rc1 now). Could that be it?
Update 2002-11-30: I got 2.4.20 in yesterday, and the I2C-stuff that seemed sensible. Still no change...
Update 2003-07-29: Yeeehaaaa! Got it working. I grabbed the kernel config from Debian Woody, and started building on that instead of starting out with the config from Linus' tree.
That had in fact just CONFIG_APM=m enabled. Nothing else. That's it.
Then, I added apm power_off=1 to
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.