They did another crowd-source event last year. The hunt was on for all the viewers to help find exo-planets - they succeeded.
In the end the planet will be a dry wasteland, but by the time I'm an old man, we'll be able to launch a probe that sends information about humanity amongst the stars - just at the same time I reawaken safe and well to find myself captain of a starship again. Plus I'll have learned how to play the flute - bonus!
Not popular? It accounts for 5% of all UK network traffic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iplayer). Considering the other 95% is porn, that's still significantly popular.
Who said anything about ordinary requests to Google to recall emails? Not me! I'm talking about the bank approaching the court and making a ludicrous request (after a ludicrous mistake). A bit of common sense could've been applied at least. Ultimately, they were idiots for sending out the email, but they compounded their mistake with another when making a stupid request to cancel an innocent person's email account. If it were me, I'd be livid.
Couldn't Google simply have deleted the single email. They would also have been able to tell if the user had read it or not, although what they would've done if it had been read, who knows - but it's not the user's fault.