Just a note about an application (Windows only though) I've started using: GreenPrint http://www.printgreener.com/. This marks possibly the first time I've ever sent a software recommendation to my friends and family. If its good enough for them, it might be good enough for some of you!
GreenPrint adds a step between hitting the "Print" button and actually sending the task to the printer. This step allows you to weed out the wasted space before printing and/or saving. It is very easy to use.
How often do people waste paper when printing prototypes, brochures, etc? You can easily prevent 20% of your total printing. Save closer to 50% when printing "1-page" web pages that so often have that one nearly blank page at the end. Save over 50% when printing things with lots of "hidden" text. Ever seen a spreadsheet print 4 blank pages for 1 "real" page (or more)?
There is a free version (GreenPrint World) that is supported by unobtrusive ads, but is not free for commercial use (ie, in the office). C|Net's download.com reports it as verified free of spyware/malware. Home Premium is corporate licensable. Volume licensing is available for the Enterprise version; I don't have a clue what their terms are. Home Premium and Enterprise have additional features. All run on Windows 2000, XP and Vista.
NOTE: I have no interest in the program other than it being a smart way to save trees, time, and money. This isn't spam it is a real review. If you want to see a demo before installing, go here: http://printgreener.com/tutorial.html
- Do you ever:
- need to print only SPECIFIC pages, not everything?
- want to define rules for things like "don't print blank pages!"?
- want to remove images from your document?
- prefer to save a PDF file instead of printing?
- GreenPrint will allow you to:
- remove entire pages (easily, graphically)
- print only text (whole document or selected pages)
- print only images (whole document or selected pages)
NOTE: Don't just use the right-click menu for these, use the "Tools" menu for more control
- Once done you can:
- Print to any of your configured printers
- Save to a PDF (replacing tools like CutePDF)
- Email immediately as a PDF (I didn't get this working but you can email saved PDF files)
- GreenPrint will also:
- Automatically remove blank and "header/footer only" pages
- Automatically remove pages via configurable criteria (ex: less than X lines, etc)
- Alert you before removing pages automatically
- Track the amount of money saved (and define costs on a per-printer basis)
- Track how many pages you have saved
- Handle printer configuration (like you have now)
- Collate pages
PS. As with any 1.00.00 software there are bugs. I reported two today to their support address. I got replies back in under an hour.