Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment: Re:No (Score 2) 180

by Hewligan (#47420845) Attached to: Will Google's Dart Language Replace Javascript? (Video)

If you have 100 hours available for testing, you can use static analysis to find 90% of the bugs and spend the rest of your time on the 10% that require deeper insight. Or you can waste 90% of your time being a human compiler, manually cross-checking symbols. Which is going to result in more reliable software?

That assumes that:

  • 1) Static analysis will find enough problems to save 90% of your testing time
  • 2) There is no additional cost in development time in manually handling all type conversions

And there are a lot of reasons to believe that neither of those are true.

Comment: Re:April Fools stories are gay (Score 4, Insightful) 1482

by Hewligan (#46633715) Attached to: OKCupid Warns Off Mozilla Firefox Users Over Gay Rights

The Left has become fascist in the name of tolerance. Tolerance will be imposed and all who stand in the way will put against the wall.

Yeah, I mean on the one hand we have people who wish to use the power of the state to deny the recognition of relationships of a minority group because it doesn't fit with their own view of the world, and on the other we have people refusing to use a company's product because they disagree with the politics of the CEO.

OKCupid are clearly the fascists here...

Comment: Re:Replusive (Score 1) 505

by Hewligan (#46130269) Attached to: The JavaScript Juggernaut Rolls On

Why do the worst technologies that are just barely able to solve the problem always make it? Is the developer community collectively really this stupid? I fear it is...

Because the people who spend their time worrying about which is the theoretically superior solution rarely come up with a practically useful solution.

Comment: Re:Congress Sucks (Score 4, Insightful) 858

by Hewligan (#42183679) Attached to: Congressional Committee Casts a Harsh Eye On Vaccination Science

Remember those "death panels" that were such a joke? Meet a victim of one: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/2910780/NHSs-refusal-to-fund-cancer-treatment-costs-mother-21000.html

It's true. These socialised health care systems have a horrible tendency to not fund vital drugs like this, just because the clinical evidence shows they don't work.

Comment: Re:Let's hear it for the beancounters (Score 1, Funny) 432

by Hewligan (#41875489) Attached to: Apple Pays Only 2% Corporate Tax Outside US

You're right! We should all stop buying Apple products because of their tax evasion. Anything else would be blatant fanboy-ism, probably caused by some sort of reality distortion field.

Now I just have to decide which of the many technology companies who gladly pay their fair share of taxes to choose from...

iMac

+ - Steve Jobs hinted at Apple's abandonment of optical drives back in 2010->

Submitted by Anonymous Coward
An anonymous reader writes "Apple's newly released iMacs don't come with optical drives standard. Here's why you shouldn't be surprised. Back in 2010, Steve Jobs responded to a customer email regarding Blu-Ray drives and noted that it will be beaten by Internet downloads. "Free, instant gratification and convenience (likely in that order) is what made the downloadable formats take off. And the downloadable movie business is rapidly moving to free (Hulu) or rentals (iTunes) so storing purchased movies or TV shows is not an issue." That said, Apple's decision to forgo Blu-Ray drives and completely remove optical drives altogether has been in the cards for some time now."
Link to Original Source

Passwords are implemented as a result of insecurity.

Working...