Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment Re:They tried it before with Cablecards (Score 1) 167

While it sucks that they didn't support SDV in some cable cards (I'm assuming, CableCard is an American thing that we never had in Canada), SDV is really quite valuable from a technical standpoint. Cable systems tend to be really crunched for spectrum, and SDV lets them free up huge swaths of spectrum for DOCSIS (cable modem) use.

Eventually, it seems like the trend is moving to IPTV over DOCSIS 3.1, which should solve the capacity issues by letting them use the entire spectrum for data, ultimately getting them reasonably close to GPON throughput.

Comment Re: Lifespan? (Score 2) 338

I started out with 15 fixtures with Cree bulbs. I suffered from 1 completely failed bulb, one bulb that randomly changed between full and half brightness (and so had to be replaced), one bulb that sputters frequently, and a few others that sputter occasionally. Some of these bulbs are relatively new (the one that sputters frequently was bought less than a year ago) while others are first-gen bulbs from when they first launched in Canada.

Two other fixtures have Ikea LED bulbs in them, and have not had any issues at all. A few months ago, I replaced three of the Cree bulbs with Walmart bulbs, since one of the three Cree bulbs had failed, and Cree bulbs are very poorly diffused so it resulted in very unpleasant hotspots in the translucent fixture.

My Cree bulbs are not all one kind. I've got 40W, 60W, 100W, and PAR. The 40W bulbs haven't had any issues that I can recall, while the 60W seem iffy, and the 100W seem pretty much gauranteed to fail quickly. None of these are in closed fixtures, and many of them are completely bare.

So, you can imagine that my opinion on Cree bulbs is not all that favourable, having owned that many, and had that much trouble with them.

Comment Re: Cart before horse (Score 1) 115

Except they're not doing that they've announced that they're going to inspect it and then stick it on 39A and fire it up for a static fire. They do that for all flight rockets, put them on the pad and go through the entire launch process except at the point where a real launch would release the rocket they shut the engines off.

Comment Re:Sounds somewhat familiar (Score 1) 56

That would appear to be what they plan to switch to for the actual discs, yes. They're basically an evolution of bluray. The first generation seems to basically take BDXL (which FaceBook and Amazon Glacier use), reduce the distance between tracks to get the per-layer density from ~33GB up to 50GB, and then make them double-sided to go from three layers to six total layers. That gets you from the 100GB BDXL to a 300GB Archival Disc.

Sony has had a storage mechanism that puts twelve BDXL discs in a single cartridge not much than twice the thickness of that many discs, and clearly intends to swap out the BDXL discs with Archival Discs when they're ready.

Comment Re:He's one to talk (Score 1) 562

By what measure did it suck? Because sharing a similar high-level story with a pre-existing work is not a measure of quality. Critics loved it, audiences loved it. If 90% of people think that a thing did not suck, then how can the other 10% be correct in saying that it did suck?

Slashdot Top Deals

"Love may fail, but courtesy will previal." -- A Kurt Vonnegut fan

Working...