For this setup i it is necessary to be able to create virtual network devices, not only virtual machines, openvswitch seems to be only solution for kvm, xen, virtualbox based solutions.
So far the research i've done also based on the comments:
- vmware with vcenter seems like a safe bet
- citrix, xen should be able to deliver the same (but looks like more work?)
- no experience with hyperV?
- proxmox looks promising
- i should also check openstack, openqrm and opennebula
I didn't mention the most likely hardware setup in the posted question:
- probably blades to compute and nas to store (so that storage and compute power can be easily? increased)
> for the open solution: nfs ok, but pnfs looks like a lot of work?