Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!


Forgot your password?

Submission + - OpenShot Video Editor Achieves $35k on Kickstarter, Final Goal in Reach! (kickstarter.com) 5

JonOomph writes: The popular open source video editor, OpenShot, has less than 39 hours remaining on popular crowd-funding site, Kickstarter.com. The lead developer, Jonathan Thomas, has proposed a revolutionary new feature, which would allow users to offload CPU, memory, and disk cache to a local server (or multiple local servers), dramatically increasing the speed of previewing and rendering. The more servers added to the pool, the faster the video editing engine becomes (with the primary limitation being network bandwidth). If the final goal of $40k is reached in the remaining hours, this feature will be added to the next version of OpenShot.

Comment Maybe if the client wasn't so damn dear... (Score 1) 185

I was amazed that they were asking £30 or more for a client and then expecting players to buy play time too. I could understand paying for time, but for the client too? I'm not going to blow £30 on a game that got such mediocre reviews. If there had been a free trial I would have given it a shot and then perhaps bought some hours. Expecting me to pay a relatively large sum up front for something that's use will expire without further expenditure seems a little, uh, hopeful.

Comment The practical applications are impressive. (Score 0) 119

There may not be enough sun here in the UK to make solar panels that effective, but given the high population density and the tight layout of our cities, this kind of technology could be incredibly useful. If it can absorb noise it'd be great, if it can actually put the energy to use that'd be fantastic.

Comment Re:Pro-Google media (Score 1, Insightful) 179

I disagree strongly. Loads of people I've spoken to don't understand what to use Wave for. Those I've worked on projects with who have used it for something real, rather than just a conversation, quickly grasp how useful it is for collaborative projects. It shouldn't have been marketed as "for the public", at least not at first. Much like mobile phones gained traction in the corporate world, Wave could well have had a similar story, given the time and marketing.

Comment Re:Next step to prevent PC piracy (Score 0) 795

I love the big Steam sales - they lower many games to the range where I can afford to buy them. I think I paid £8 for Team Fortress 2 but as good as it is for £25 I would never have bought it. Between £5 - 10 I'm willing to buy nearly any game that I think seems good. For less than £4 I'll buy nearly anything. I have bought a couple of games for the full price at release, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 being a notable example, but that title was of fantastic quality and has huge amounts of replayability value, something I cannot say of most games I encounter.

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.