Currawong writes "MacTalk Australia reports that one of its users has had their MacBook burst into flames, awaking in the middle of the night to find the MacBook, along with some magazines adjacent to where the MacBook was sitting, alight. His housemate stated that, "she heard it hissing like a steam valve, then smoke started pouring out of it and a couple of seconds later, a very large flash fire started." The owner stated that available charge in the battery of the 11 month old MacBook had become suddenly poor in the 3 weeks leading up to the fire, the day of the fire almost completely failing to work properly at all. Apple last year issued a recall of over 1 million batteries after issues with Sony manufactured batteries caught fire in Dell laptops. Since contacting Apple Australia, they have offered to replace the MacBook with a MacBook Pro and possibly compensate the owner for the damage caused, once they have determined the cause of the fire."
Submission Summary: 0 pending, 13 declined, 7 accepted (20 total, 35.00% accepted)
Currawong writes "On MacTalk Australia, one of our users has had his MacBook's battery explode, telling us the frightening story of his girlfriend waking him in a panic at 3am after seeing his MacBook spontaneously catch fire in their kitchen. "[She]..said she heard it hissing like a steam valve, then smoke started pouring out of it and a couple of seconds later, a very large flash fire started. I'm sure you have read about these and seen the dell video. This is what happened to my macbook." We're now awaiting the response from Apple Australia to the owner, as it's the first time we know of they've had to deal with this issue."