Follow Slashdot stories on Twitter

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Note: You can take 10% off all Slashdot Deals with coupon code "slashdot10off." ×

Comment Re:How is it Ukraine's fault (Score 1) 249

Allow me to help you comrade.

I have never understood the blatant lies coming out of the Russian military or their proxies when they claim it was Ukrainian forces who shot down the airliner. I can only presume they believe people around the world are as gullible as the average Russian, and possibly just as drunk, because they have never answered any of the following questions.

>> All these questions have been comprehensively answered. I will repeat the answers here.

If Ukraine was the only one who had helicopters and jets, why would they need anti-aircraft weapons against farmers and miners (the term Putin has used to refer to his troops in Ukraine)?

>> In order to cast false accusations on Russia, thus justifying intervention by the west in the Ukranian citizens' fight for their freedom.

If the plane was coming from the West, meaning it was flying into Ukrainian airspace from a known location, why would Ukraine, if it had anti-aircraft weapons deployed, target then shoot down an aircraft not coming from the East?

>> This question has already been answered.

How does Russia and their proxies explain the fact postings were made on known Twitter accounts and radio intercepts recorded of Russian proxies bragging about shooting down a Ukrainian jet?

>> No such postings have been made. These are part of the extravagant western propaganda campaign.

Why is it that pictures of a Buk missile system were taken near the shoot down site, the same system which was then tracked on its way back to Russia AND which had one missile missing?

>> The freedom fighters did shoot down some Ukranian military aircraft. These photos were probably of those buk launchers.

How does Russia and its proxies explain that people in the area witnessed the launch of the missile from territory under Russian control? Not just one person, but several, all pointing to the same general area?

>> Lies and propaganda

Why did Russia and its proxies prevent investigators from entering the crash site for days afterwards? What evidence were they trying to hide?

>> They were merely ensuring the safety of the remains, and making sure that this provocation could be properly recorded before western spies messed with the evidence.

If Russia or its proxies did not shoot down the civilian airliner, why did Russia veto a UN resolution to fully and openly investigate the incident? If Russia is innocent they should have been happy to have an investigation to prove their innocence.

>> The west has clearly demonstrated that it will lie and deceive in order to misrepresent Russian support for Ukranian self-determination. Such a biased western-run investigation would be used as a vehicle for further propaganda.

It is quite clear Russian troops and/or their proxies shot down a civilian airliner, then bragged about it, yet beyond all reasonable comprehension they stubbornly cling to the fantasy they are not criminally responsible. It's as if the they've learned nothing over the last 100 years since the coup.

>> It is only clear to those who are deceived by the corrupt western media.

Remember that Putin doesn't really need to convince the western audience. He cares more about convincing his home audience, and throwing enough doubt into the game to limit direct repercussions.

Russians know not to trust the news - particularly the western news which is so obviously a corrupt mouthpiece of the western governments.
The west clearly wants to impose their will on Russia (you can see the sanctions, and the falling oil prices as clear evidence of this) - but plucky Russia won't be cowed.

The western hypocrisy is simply staggering; While the west interferes in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and Syria where they have no citizens, and no defensible interest, they condemn Russia for defending Russian citizens against attacks in their own land where all they want is the right to self-determination. (for example - see the democratic referendum held in Crimea).

The west (and the USA in particular) want to cripple Russia - but Russia will not be cowed. Russian citizens are smart enough to recognise that their nation is under economic and political attack, and they will not fall for the western smears and outright lies.

[Do you get the idea?]

Comment Re:Apple Watch is useful for quick interactions... (Score 1) 213

I'm not convinced by the complication story.

My guess is

% of users who bother to customise the watch face
* % of users who add my complication to the face
* % of users who even find that useful

~= 0%

essentially, you're describing using complications as a launcher, but it is a launcher with 4 (?) launchable apps, and it is still a tap/load away from actually using the app.

Comment Just not useful for apps (Score 5, Interesting) 213

Background
- I'm a developer on iOS.
- My apps seem like good fits for apple watch (VLC Remote and VLC Streamer).
- I wear an apple watch.

Data:
Approximately nobody uses my apple watch app.
I don't use any apple watch apps.

My thoughts:
Having bought the watch, I can see why. It just isn't useful for quick interactions.
The default setting on the watch is that when you drop your wrist, it resets to the watch face, so every time you lift your wrist, you need to go to the launcher, find the app, launch it (wait some seconds) and then interact with the small screen.

There is an option to make the watch return to the point you left in the app - but in most cases, that isn't what you want for your watch. You do want it to show you the time when you lift your wrist 10 mins after you last used it.

On top of this, the things that could be useful like siri interaction are weak. Siri just doesn't work nearly as well as google now.

I keep wearing the watch because I like the activity monitor, but I don't even use my own apple watch apps.

Comment Re:Outside help (Score 2) 431

actual interest payments are somewhere around 2.6% to 4.3% of GDP (depending on your calculation method)
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6e55...

greek tax revenue as a proportion of gdp is about 30%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

so greek interest payments are approx 10% of tax receipts
http://data.worldbank.org/indi...

Comment Standard deviation has a value. (Score 1) 480

The argument that lottery tickets are bad value is based on the expected (mean) return.
For example, for every $2 ticket, you might get $1 in prizes on average.
On average, you're losing on every ticket.

However - this completely fails to value the fact that you have massively increased the standard deviation of your return, so although your expected return is $1, there is some chance that you'll get $1million.

We recognise that reducing standard deviation on negative events has value.
For example, your expected return on your insurance payments of $1000 is less than $1000. However, you have reduced the standard deviation of the expected return and (hopefully) negated the possibility of losing $1million.
On average however - you lose money whenever you buy insurance.

If we are willing to pay (on average) to avoid losing $1million, then it is is equally logical to pay (on average) for the opportunity of gaining $1million.

Comment Re:Its own editors said so (Score 5, Insightful) 346

Elsewhere you'll see they honestly and clearly state their intention to promote left-wing liberalism. They aren't pretending to be objective, balanced, or factual.

Holding a set of beliefs doesn't disqualify you from being objective, balanced or factual.

Everyone has beliefs - some subscribe to a classifiable set of beliefs. This journal is a collection of people who share some beliefs around liberalism - and they declare it.

Of course this means that they'll tend to see things through the prism of their beliefs - but everyone does this. At least in this case, they're honest and upfront about their beliefs, so you can take those into account.

They're going to pick stories of interest to liberals, and they're going to give liberal insights into events - but that doesn't mean they can't be reasonably objective, balanced of factual.

I say 'reasonably' because nobody can be completely objective, balanced or factual. Everyone is influenced by their preconceptions, experience, and by their imperfect knowledge.

Comment Re:It's always terrible (Score 1) 257

grr - slashdot broke my comment:

let me clarify my example.

Is it really fair that when you search for info on 50yr old electrician bob (as you are considering giving him a job), the top story is one about his conviction for sex crimes when he (as an {age of consent in your jurisdiction} yr old boy) had sex with his {whatever age would be legal in your jurisdiction -1} yr old girlfriend?

I accept your point that more serious crimes might have a longer 'forgetting' threshold. Do you accept my point about 'forgetting' less serious crimes?

Comment Re:Confused Reporter (Score 4, Informative) 150

the video seems to state:

1) SOP is to unlock at 1.4
2) the co-pilot moved the lever to unlock at 1.0

"the lock unlock is not to be moved into the unlock position until acceleration up to mach 1.4. Instead, that occurred at approximately mach 1.0"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/worl... (2:50)

I don't know if that difference is significant. It sounded to me like 'we're not casting blame formally yet, but look over here at this pilot error'

Comment Re:It's always terrible (Score 1) 257

we accept similar 'right to be forgotten' in other areas.

e.g. juvenile criminal record is sealed, e.g. minor criminal offences no longer appear in criminal record check after x years.
Now a private investigator may be able to dig up dirt by trawling old newspaper archives - but for the most part, (pre internet), the person is able to move on without everyone knowing about these past mistakes.

There is an analogous argument to be made here. Is it really fair that when you search for info on 50yr old electrician bob (as you are considering giving him a job), the top story is one about his conviction for sex crimes when he (as an 18yr old boy) had sex with his 17yr old girlfriend?

I'm not for a moment saying that the eu 'right to be forgotten' makes sense, just saying that you can make a reasonable argument for a limited right.

The issue is that the internet (and specifically search engines) make it much easier for everyone to be the private investigator. The implementation of the right to be forgotten is quite similar to what we had in practice in the analogue world.
-the newspaper archive still exists (websites still have the articles)
-the criminal record doesn't show the old offence (search engine doesn't list the article)

You scratch my tape, and I'll scratch yours.

Working...