If you had read his comment in context you'd realize that he's saying this: If Intel Baytrail parts can run full-blown Windows 8 with good performance and battery life that's at least on-par with ARM Android tablets.... what do you think will happen when products come out where those same chips get to run Android instead?
" just about every SSL-encrypted internet communication over the last two years has been compromised."
No, it really hasn't.
It's accurate to say that just about every Open-SSL encrypted session for servers that were using NEW versions of OpenSSL (not all those ones out there still stuck on 0.9.8(whatever) that never had the bug) were potentially vulnerable to attack.
That's bad, but it's a universe away from "every SSL session is compromized!!!" because that's not really true.
Premise of the Story: XP is older than Dropbox and therefore is useless. Let's go find some people who use XP and then talk about Dropbox.
In other news: This so-called story is a thinly veiled ad for Dropbox that finds interesting ways to drop the word Dropbox into a completely unrelated story!!
P.S. --> DROPBOX BITCHEZ!!
If by "very recently" you mean 14 years ago (literally in the 20th century) that selective availability was turned off.....
As for your other points:
1. The U.S. did not degrade any civilian GPS when they invaded Iraq.
2. If you honestly think the Ukranians are beholden to GLONASS... which doesn't even work for the Russians a large portion of the time.. and are somehow too stupid to buy commercial GPS products that are made in Taiwan and used by the rest of the world, then I have a bridge to sell you.
Hell, even the Russians use GPS (quietly) even though they tout GLONASS because nationalism.
Meanwhile, after you read past the end-of-the-world predictions that were likely lifted directly from one of those churches that makes a living predicting the End Times, here's a more realistic assessment from a real economist who told the IPCC to remove his name from their "summary":
Bitch about Walmart employees all you want, but if you want to see a perfect model of a *NON* flashy HQ and *NON* flashy executives who practice what they preach, then Walmart is a perfect example of how to do things.
So all he's doing is a boring experiment and live-blogging it?
Sure, that kind of link-bait would have been fine back in 2002 when "blogs" were all cool.
If Slahdot's standards hadn't dropped so much recently he would have had to do the following things to get on the front page:
1. Print the rats with a a 3D printer.
2. Put the rats ON A DRONE.
3. Use the rat-drone to uncover a secret NSA program that has already produced the stem cells to INVADE OUR PRIVACY.
4. Prove that stem cells create global warming.
5. Write a lengthy academic paper that has nothing whatsoever to do with points 1-4 but instead states.. without coming to a firm conclusion.. that Christians* are inferior forms of life because jargon.
* But not muslims, because even though we talk the big talk we're really a bunch of sniveling cowards. Hey, tomorrow is Sharia tuesday!
The droughts in California ARE man-made, but they have nothing to do with the Global Warming boogy-man and have everything to do with 2 important facts that people seem to forget:
1. That part of California is a freakin' desert and no, it didn't turn into a desert overnight because of Global Warming, it was a desert long before humans showed up.
2. California's intentional man-made mismanagement of its water supply to dump water for bait-fish and for Mexico and refusal to build new reservoirs to store water from years when it has been plentiful has caught up to it now that we see California's climate doing exactly what it should be doing.
But go ahead, blame Global Warming and burn a few witches at the stake since radical religious fanaticism with a thin veneer of "science" painted over it has now replaced rational thought.
Free hypocrisy points to all the posters who bash these guys but would gladly sign up for the Obama brown-shirt core to enforce "fairness" and "equality" on Fox new or to censor Rush Limbaugh but now feel that their pigs are far more "equal" than those other pigs they disagree with.
P.S. --> Since I'm not a hypocrite, I don't think these creationists deserve "equal time" any more than I think whack-job Global Warming religionists who want to put so-called "deniers" or even people who think Global Warming is real but isn't apocalyptic in concentration camps should be given "equal time".
Oh, no, I'm not exaggerating either: https://theconversation.com/is...
Everyone knows that the reason ANYTHING goes exctint is:
1. George Bush.
TIME FOR YOU TO GO TO THE REEDUCATION CAMPS YOU DENIALISTS!
Kurzweil's predictive powers are so incredibly wrong that he could literally destroy the world by making a mundane prediction that then couldn't come true.
For example, if Kurzweil foolishly predicted that the sun would come up tomorrow, the earth would probably careen right out of its orbit.
Upton sez: "But we're incredibly proud that VideoCore IV is the first publicly documented mobile graphics core,"
Uh.. considering that the graphics cores in Baytrail tablet chips have had open source drivers in the mainline Linux kernel since at least early last year (the earliest commits may go all the way back to 2012), and considering that Intel's Gen7 graphics system is very well documented, I'd have to disagree there.
I'm glad you got the satire... I've been running Linux on any machine under my direct control since 2000 and I did my Master's thesis by hacking on a Linux Security Module for domain & type enforcement back when the 2.6 Kernel was still in beta... so I'm not exactly shilling for Microsoft.
I'm also not a fan of complacency. While I really like that a whole lot of devices run Linux, if they can't be updated to address security issues in a very easy (even completely automated) manner, then Linux can be just as vulnerable as Windows or anything else.
Linksys routers run Linux and Linux is Open Source. Therefore there are no bugs because theoretically someone can look at the code and fix the code.
This also means that it's impossible for bad people to look at the code and exploit the code because Open Source makes everyone honest by magic.
Oh, and by virtue of being able to look at the code, Linksys routers magically patch themselves before the bugs even come into existence!
In conclusion, Windows is the cause of all security problems.
It's not climate change, it's just a random weather pattern.
Oh wait.. you said hot?
Nevermind. Climate change.