Yeah, there is a massive amount of historical evidence that people will "go with the crowd" and it's rare, really rare, to see someone sacrifice even a modecum of their ... time let alone personal safety/comfort, even if it's just theoretical acceptance of a risk ... to help defend what they think is important. It's too easy to come up with excuses to not act*.
- Things aren't too bad yet
- Other people are working on it
- I'll do something when the time is right
- Well it's not as important as I thought
- I'm not potentially sacrificing my career or even a small part of my liberty for this, simply "holding my opinion" is my contribution to "resisting".
- My contribution is too small to matter. No one will listen.
- Secret dark forces we cannot fight are arrayed against us**.
(*) And I'm Including myself here. I haven't written a letter to anyone yet about any of the serious things that have happened lately.
(**) A huge fraction of people are conspiracy theorists, and they ALWAYS pull this out of the hat when you ask them "omg that's horrible, what are you personally doing about it".)