Can it be saved?
Short of a 2nd Steve Jobs type of CEO there is nothing left to do but sell.
I do not think Marrisa is bad. The fact is Yahoo was the leader in search, chat, groups, news, and media integration at the turn of the century. THey let it all go to shit soo bad that they can't recover.
1. Yahoo chat rooms rocked as well as AIM in 2000. THe porn spammers came in and ever 30 seconds even kids room got spammed. In 2009 I went back 9 freaking years later and all were porn BOTS!! No one did anything.
Seriously. I would have stopped this within days if I were Yang back then as people would leave and get freaked out and do not want RUssian porn spams every 30 seconds.
Skype now has audio, vidoe, calls, etc. Google Chat has this plus Google+ integration in it's own version.
2. They missed the mobile presence. DONE. THe market is made up of two. Apple and Android. No more no less. Windows Mobile is pretty nice and trying now but it is just too little too late and if Microsoft can't even get it you know you are in trouble being much smaller.
3. THe search sucked. Excite then lycos, and ultimately Google came in with intelligent data mining searches rather than just do a search for text like Yahoo did. When they got beat they shrugged their shoulders like they did with the porn spam bots for many many years and then act all shocked when everyone left?!
4. The site redesign is made for old people who do not like change or details. Old people rarely use the net more than looking at a news story or two and sending messages to their grandkids on facebook. Yeah lots of views there even if that is their demographic now.
5. They let websites like 4chan and drudge take over younger people's audiences.
6. THeir answer to livejournal and facebook was Yahoo360??! Please by 2006 it was too late.
Google deserves all of its fame. They delivered a supperior product and kept improving it at a rapid place and viewed complacency as an emeny. Google made sure they had a marketing. They also went into newer markets first before a threat could come in.Yahoo did the opposite.
I blame Yang the founder for its issues.
Yahoo needs to invent something out of this world now just to keep up. A new CEO can only do so much for places like Yahoo, Kmart, JCPenny, and other has been companies beaten out by nibble competitors. I guess like kmart you can't compete after a Walmart came in and even Target to a lesser extent.