I usually have to spend a couple of hours going through my email when I get back from vacation.
Many of them are useless:
- - somebody brought doughnuts
- - people discussing where do go for lunch last Tuesday
- - who was out of the office every day
- - a customer had a simple problem and one of my co-workers solved it
Some are useful
- - policy changes
- - a customer had a complicated problem and one of my co-workers solved in a way that we will want to remember
Threaded email readers help. Look at the most recent couple emails for each subject, and see whether there is something I need to do or file away for future use.
What I'd really like is if all of the dated stuff would evaporate when it's no longer relevant.