Trust me we did all that except small claims court.
- The hospital acknowledged the error in writing but said they couldn't take off credit report because the Collection agency had put it on the report and well you know what the CA said, "Show me the money" no percentage in the CA removing it
- Even got the Military Medical people involved AKA TriCare who provided assistance in the form of a letter to the hospital wanting to know why I was charged to begin with.
- The bank wouldn't give me the loan with the bad debt on my report, only bad item on the report by the way.
- Finally a hospital officer "Mr. Friendly" real name and I will never forget it, provided a notarized letter to my lending officer stating the debt was in error and that it should never have been entered against me. So I got the loan.
- Took another two years for it to clear from my credit history so I kept the letter for a damn long time.
In my opinion the only "Bad Actor" in the whole deal was the CA, once informed the debt was in error by the hospital they should have taken action to clear it. But no they wanted the money for the debt they had purchased. Fuck them it's the risk they take for being in that business.
The hospital had made a mistake and acknowledged same. The credit could of taken a verbal but wanted everything in writing, CYA and I get that.