Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment Re:Slashdot news for nerds? (Score 1) 169

Never mind the employers; how about looking at universities' motivation to pump out so many degrees?

They make money from it. That's all. It's not about an educated populace or "learning to learn" or any of that high-minded horseshit. Money. End of story.

They take money from students, they take subsidies, they create markets for loans, markets for student housing.

I've seen electrical engineering go from actual engineering with the degree, to technician-level jobs requiring a degree. And I've worked with recent graduates. Wow. It's ... amazing. I can't think of a better word.

Comment What about the 35 year old one? (Score 1) 86

I consider the VIC-20 to be a nice SBC. Heck, I used mine 20 years ago to do some school work in the hardware labs of my college.

It was a lot easier to plug the VIC into the old CGA monitors and use BASIC to drive the user port than it was to use the XTs. The XTs had no HD, so I had to carry around boot floppies, the PC's BASIC didn't let you access the hardware AFAIK, the Turbo Pascal and C we used wasn't that easy either.

Commodore BASIC was in ROM, and a single line of code could create a 256 value look-up table from math and poke it into memory. A few bytes of assembler pumped it out the user port 8 bits at a time. Etc...

Comment Re: Up to date? (Score 5, Interesting) 200

Same here, I've worked in EE for 25 years, as a technician at first. I don't see much of a future for it here in Montreal, I'm lucky I found a job here, it's off the island but at least I'm working in my field. At the same numerical wage as 15 years ago, minus the benefits, and with no vacation time except for the legal minimum. I worked the 24th. All day. I slept the 25th because I also work evenings doing contract work.. so I can make enough money to pay the immoral taxes in Quebec. (I made the mistake of going on unemployment last year, oops, the province considers this a revenue so it wants even more taxes from me.)

I wonder how the kids at Bombardier feel these days, with their bosses getting welfare to the tune of a billion dollars US yet shipping the jobs to Mexico.

Sure, just study more... What kind of life is this?

All I'm doing is running in place to pay taxes with the same salary as 15 years ago.

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Working...