- Average compression ratio of LZMA is about 30% better than that of gzip, and 15% better than that of bzip2.
- Decompression speed is only little slower than that of gzip, being two to five times faster than bzip2.
- In fast mode, compresses faster than bzip2 with a comparable compression ratio.
- Very similar command line interface than what gzip and bzip2 have.
- Free software licensed under the GNU GPL (actually most parts are under the GNU LGPL).
There are also the experimental LZMA utils available for download at: http://tukaani.org/lzma/"
Link to Original Source