OpenRank is an open source project to create a better ranking algorithm/process. A processes that can not only be used for searching webpages, but for any other item, in a multi consumer-producer environment such as the internet.
The power that a search engine has by being the gatekeeper to the internet is too important to be hidden away and controlled by a small group of multi billion $ companies. This is why OpenRank is important
Processes such as PageRank used by Google to measure how relevant a website will be to you based on the number of links to that site are fundamentally flawed. The importance given to factors influencing a webpage are no user specific
OpenRank attempts to:
- Make this process available to all.
- Taylor the search results to the taste of the user.
- Be completely open for developers, content creators, people searching, everyone...
OpenRank needs your help to make it possible. The project needs all people — there are many ways to producing a great search and many skill sets are needed.
If you have ideas about
- How searching for or ranking of webpages, photos, music, books, etc could be better
- How to write a better algorithm for ranking
- Computer software/hardware
- OR JUST ARE INTERESTED
Then OpenRank needs you
OpenRank @ Wikipedia