- What are the foundational topics I need to learn. What parts of math, statistics, machine learning, text analysis, scientific programming...?
- What books to read?
- What courses (preferably open/online) to take?
- I want to set up an online portfolio of big-data projects that I work on to showcase skills that I acquire in this domian. What are some of the more challenging, topical and novel applications areas and open problems to showcase in a portfolio, such that it is distinctive and interesting. E.g., consumer behavior, neuro-/bio-informatics, socio-economic trends
- How do I find sources of open/non-propreitary data sets to use for my portfolio projects?
- What hosting resources do I need to set up a portfolio of big-data projects? Any suggestions on specific hosting providers?
- What tools should I strive to learn (preferably FOSS): E.g., Hadoop, R, Octave, Python
- What are the industry and trade bodies that cater to big-data professionals?
- How do I acquire mentor(s)/guide(s) who can informally guide me through the above skill acquisition and portfolio creation tasks?
- Any othe Data Science related wisdom
Slashdot videos: Now with more Slashdot!
We've improved Slashdot's video section; now you can view our video interviews, product close-ups and site visits with all the usual Slashdot options to comment, share, etc. No more walled garden! It's a work in progress -- we hope you'll check it out (Learn more about the recent updates).