Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Massive Porn Buyer Info Leak 251

Posted by Zonk
from the get-off-the-internet-this-is-a-sign dept.
Anonymous Guy wrote to mention a Wired article that covers the release of information for millions of customers onto the Internet. From the article: "The stolen data, examined by Wired News, includes names, phone numbers, addresses, e-mail addresses and internet IP addresses. Other fields in the compromised databases appear to be logins and passwords, credit-card types and purchase amounts, but credit-card numbers are not included. The breach has broad privacy implications for the victims. Until it was brought low by legal and financial difficulties, iBill was a top credit-card processor for adult entertainment websites."
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Massive Porn Buyer Info Leak

Comments Filter:
  • Freakin' Sweet (Score:5, Insightful)

    by GabrielF (636907) <GJFishman@@@comcast...net> on Thursday March 09, 2006 @04:05PM (#14885105)
    Other fields in the compromised databases appear to be logins and passwords

    Woohoo! Free porn for everyone!

  • by ScooterBill (599835) * on Thursday March 09, 2006 @04:07PM (#14885114)
    I think it's kind of funny. My wife isn't really in on my porn habits but she isn't stupid and knows that sometimes her hubby isn't just "defragging the hard drive" in the basement.

    The funny part is when we get to see the "questionable" surfing habits of some famous self-righteous fundy preachers. I love it.

    Of course, it wouldn't be so funny if the entire credit card info got released...
  • BIG DEAL? (Score:2, Insightful)

    by HTTP Error 403 403.9 (628865) on Thursday March 09, 2006 @04:09PM (#14885136)
    They have names, addresses and phone numbers but no credit card numbers or social security numbers. Isn't this basically the same information you can find in the phone book?

    About the only thing one can do with this information is crank calls and spam.

    Big deal.

  • Re:Weakest Link (Score:3, Insightful)

    by wkk2 (808881) on Thursday March 09, 2006 @04:37PM (#14885371)
    The theft of card data won't stop until both the merchants and card issuers incur sufficient liability to wake up and make changes. 1. It should be illegal for merchants to store card numbers after an approval code is received. Buyers should be required to resubmit their card number for new transactions and refunds. It's not that big of an inconvenience to reenter numbers. 2. Reoccurring transactions should be process by submitting the card number to the merchant. The merchant should in turn apply for a reoccurring number that is only valid between that merchant and the card-clearing house. They should be charged a higher fee for the liability of saving that custom number. This number would be worthless to the thieves. 3. The addition of a one time password (federated OATH type token) would also go a long way to solving these problems especially for card not present transactions.
  • by The Warlock (701535) on Thursday March 09, 2006 @06:03PM (#14886209)
    Both condemn it. Stop kidding yourself; 99% of all politicians are filthy corrupt bastards who want nothing more than to screw you over. The other 1% get shot.
  • by recharged95 (782975) on Thursday March 09, 2006 @09:52PM (#14887885) Journal
    that there's no such thing as anonymity on the internet.

"The Amiga is the only personal computer where you can run a multitasking operating system and get realtime performance, out of the box." -- Peter da Silva

Working...