Forgot your password?

What Is Your Favorite Ancient Olympic Game?

Displaying poll results.
Hoplite Race
  814 votes / 4%
Pankration
  1308 votes / 6%
Chariot Racing
  2895 votes / 15%
Pentathlon
  971 votes / 5%
Boxing
  467 votes / 2%
Wrestling
  674 votes / 3%
Hydra Killing
  7420 votes / 38%
Pong
  4637 votes / 24%
19186 total votes.
[ Voting Booth | Other Polls | Back Home ]
  • Don't complain about lack of options. You've got to pick a few when you do multiple choice. Those are the breaks.
  • Feel free to suggest poll ideas if you're feeling creative. I'd strongly suggest reading the past polls first.
  • This whole thing is wildly inaccurate. Rounding errors, ballot stuffers, dynamic IPs, firewalls. If you're using these numbers to do anything important, you're insane.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

What Is Your Favorite Ancient Olympic Game?

Comments Filter:
  • by Anonymous Coward on Monday July 30, 2012 @10:10AM (#40817523)

    Early results show that roughly two out of three Slashdotters don't know or don't care about the ancient Olympics. Pong and Hydra Killing have 64% of the votes, and I would assume some of the remaining 36% were a "pick whatever" choice.

    (captcha 'judged')

  • Re:Bring it back (Score:1, Insightful)

    by The Grim Reefer (1162755) on Monday July 30, 2012 @01:21PM (#40819761)

    If curling can be a winter Olympic sport, seems obvious chariot racing should be brought back as a summer Olympic sport.

    Even more to the point, if "Rhythmic Gymnastics" (AKA streamer twirling) is a summer Olympic event it seems obvious damn near anything should be.

  • Re:enough already (Score:5, Insightful)

    by RNLockwood (224353) on Monday July 30, 2012 @04:03PM (#40821597) Homepage

    I just wish the modern Olympic Games stop already. They've completely perverted the spirit of Pierre de Coubertin who said (in French): L’important dans ces Olympiades, c’est moins d’y gagner que d’y prendre part (the important thing is less winning than participating), especially with the rules that professional athlete can compete now (in case you didn't know, only amateurs were allowed to participate in the earlier days).

    If I understand it correctly what the "amateurs only" rule really meant was that only Gentlemen could participate. The working class couldn't afford the time to train and participate nor the expenses and that kept the Gentlemen from having to associate with their inferiors as equals.

    CMIIW

  • Re:enough already (Score:3, Insightful)

    by Anonymous Coward on Tuesday July 31, 2012 @12:27AM (#40825409)

    Let's not forget, and I quote from the Current official 'Olympic Charter'

    Section 2
    Mission and Role of the IOC
    '10. to oppose any political or commercial abuse of sport and athletes'

    Ah, I see no commercial abuse of sport going on here at all, what's that? MacFatMeatProducts and CrappyFizzyDrinksco are official sponsors of the games?

    DestroyerOfWorldschemicalscorps as well? umm, let's see, Olympic Charter, Section 2 again

    '13. to encourage and support a responsible concern for environmental issues, to promote
    sustainable development in sport and to require that the Olympic Games are held
    accordingly;

    How those words must ring hollow to people in places like Bhopal..

A meeting is an event at which the minutes are kept and the hours are lost.

 



Forgot your password?
Working...