Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
User Journal

donutz's Journal: YahooPOPs! rocks! 1

Journal by donutz

I downloaded and compiled (then recompiled to address an issue noted in the forum) YahooPOPs! an awesome program that combines a web scraper and a POP server into a program that you run on your computer. The upshot of this is that it lets you check your Yahoo email account from any standard POP3 compliant mail client.

This is great, because I'm trying to move away from Yahoo since I've gotten new email addresses with the web hosting package my friends and I bought. With YahooPOPs!, I'm able to clean out all those saved messages I have on Yahoo, and I don't have to pay extra to get the Yahoo POP service to do it.

It works pretty well. Once I figured out what I was doing, it only crashed on me once with some kind of parsing error or something. For all I know, Yahoo gave it one of those "Temporary Problem" pages and that threw it off. Whatever it was, I'm happy with how it works, and it hasn't given me a problem since.

I'm going to also give a try to a similar program that works for Hotmail accounts, I'll let you know how that one works!

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

YahooPOPs! rocks!

Comments Filter:
  • I'm going to also give a try to a similar program that works for Hotmail accounts, I'll let you know how that one works!

    Considering the fact that 99% of the messages I receive at Hotmail is spam (the other 1% being a handful of lists I've subscribed to or accounts I've joined), it's not really necessary for me to try this out. But sometimes its fun just to try stuff to see if you can get it to work (ok, my wife would be shaking her head reading this, and tell me I'm crazy).

    I guess the best thing I could

"When the going gets tough, the tough get empirical." -- Jon Carroll

Working...