I think I've figured it out mostly. I've got the mechanism down I believe and now it is just a matter of nailing down some specifics. I used a program called cvt to find the modeline for the resolution I wanted. Then I tried it out with xrandr and that worked pretty well. I did all this with the guidance from this Arch wiki article.
Then I used the layout they show for creating an entry in xorg.conf but I didn't do it in xorg.conf I created a new file in
I logged out, logged back in and had the option to change the lcd to the desired resolution. The only remaining issue is that while everything I can find says this monitor is 1440x900 - when I maximize stuff it goes off the right edge. But I can figure that out.
My original post is below:
I've got a cheap LCD monitor that I use at home. It's decent but it does have one real pain in the butt issue. It doesn't report itself properly to computers. I don't know the details - I just know that regardless of what I connect to it and regardless of the OS - I have to go in and straighten it out.
Today I started using it with my laptop running Fedora 17 and sure enough I don't get the correct resolution as an option. Fedora doesn't use xorg.conf any more and the tools I've found all just give me the same set of options that don't include the right resolution.
I'm open to suggestions on how to get it to handle this correctly.